Hello lovely foodies! After a long time I am here; as you all know that, for some health issues, I couldn't write on any of my blogs a long! Well, now I am quite fine and today I am going to share a very special recipe for you.
Every year, we all are waiting for a special festival, which comes with lots of colors and fun! Yes, you guess it right! It's 'Holi'! We are just standing on the eve of this great festival. and naturally, too much exited! On this occasion, I want to share a special Pulao recipe with you which is really a delicious one. Here I go.............
Basanti pulao or mishti polao is a sweet, ghee-laden rice dish made from fragrant gobindabhog or Basmati rice, cashew nuts and raisins. It is a special Bengali delicacy. This can be the main rice dish of choice for any special occasion. It can be served with spicy non-veg or vegetarian side dish.
Basanti Polao (Yellow Pulao)
Preparation Time : 1 hr
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serve For : 3-4
- Gobindo bhog Rice or Basmati rice: 2 cups
- Ghee or Clarified Butter: 3 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
- Cashew Nuts: 15-20
- Raisins: 20-25
- Bay Leaf: 2-3
- Cinnamon Stick: 2 inch
- Green Cardamom: 2-3
- Cloves: 4
- Green Chilli : 4-5
- Grated Ginger: 1 tsp
- Sugar: 5 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Water (warm): 4 cups
- Wash rice with cold water. Drain water and leave the rice to air-dry over a strainer or spread on a big plate, for at least 30 minutes.
- Soak cashew nuts and raisins in water.
- Once dried, put the rice into a mixing bowl and add 2 tbsp of ghee, 4 tbsp of sugar, 1 tsp of salt, ginger and 1 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Mix all the ingredients very well with the rice until rice grains are well coated with ghee and spices. Keep it aside for another 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a big kadai or handi or a comfortable utensil, you like.
- Add cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaf into the ghee. Stir for a while.
- Then add soaked cashew nuts into the pan and saute them until the cashew nuts become light brown in colour.
- Now add the marinated rice into the pan. Stir and fry the rice for 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add the raisins and fry another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add 4 cups of warm water along with salt and sugar into the rice. Stir well and cover the pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Your Pulao is ready. Serve the Pulav with any spicy dish like Mutton Curry or Chicken Curry or Fish Kalia or Potato Curry.
1. The quantity of water, you want to put in this Pulao, is very important here. Always use the double water of the amount of rice. Here I used 2 cups of rice; so I have taken 4 cups of water/2. Rest the Pulao before serve; as resting allows all the flavours to combine nicely.
HAPPY HOLI TO ALL