Hello friends! At first, very very happy New Year to all of you! May you all have a great year.....
Today I’m going to share a winter special recipe from Bengali cuisins. We make so many type of Pitha or Pithe on the occasion of Poush Sankranti. One of them I share today; hope you like it…..
Vaja (fried) Pithe
For the Shell:
- Rice flour: 2 cups (or to need)
- Green Gram: 2 cups
- Hot water: to need
- Grated Coconut: 3 cups
- Kheer/ condenced milk: 1 cup
- Jaggery/ Sugar: 1cup
- Cardamom Powder: ½ tablespoon
For the filling:
Cardamom Pods: 3-4
Refined oil: 500ml.
For the Filling:
- In a saute pan, mix the Coconut and sugar/ Jaggery together and then place the pan over a simmering flame stirring continuously.
- Add the kheer/ condenced milk and Cardamom Powder, and keep stirring till the mixture is moist and turns a little brown and sticky. The consistency should be granular.
- Take out of the flame and keep aside.
For the Shell:
- Medioum boil the Green Gram.
- Knead the flour and green gram into tight and smooth but not very soft dough using hot water.Let it rest for 1 hour or a minimum of ½ hour.
- Make very small balls from the dough and spread each ball with fingers into a small shallow bowl shape.
- Stuff the coconut filling into the shells.
- Fold them and seal the edges so that filling doesnt comes out.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the pulis till all turn brown.
- Serve hot with tea or coffie.
* Usually, filling of any pithe is same. Once you cook enough of it, you can make various pithas.
Tips of the day
2. Put 2-3 cloves in the sugar to keep ants at bay.
Well, time to say good bye! Share your thoughts here, it’s really precious for me! Take care, have a wonderful weekend……Namaskar.