Hello lovely foodies! How are you in summer? In this season, we have a little option of vegetables; and most of them are rejected by our children and hubby! Isn’t it?? Kathal or green Jackfruit is very common vegetable in summer. Here is a Bengali recipe, exclusively for you. Try it and please will give me your feedback. Let’s go for it……
Echor-Chingri (Green Jackfruit with prawns)
- Prawns (medium size): - 250gm.
- Green Jackfruit (Kathal): 1 piece(small)
- Potato (medium size): - 2piece
- Onion (slice in fine pieces):- 2 piece
- Ginger paste: - 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic paste: - 1/2 teaspoon
- Tomato (sliced):- 1 piece
- Red Chili Powder (optional):- 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmiri red Chili Powder: - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder: - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder: - 1/2 teaspoon
- Bay leaf: 2
- Mustard / Refined Oil: - 1 Cup (150gm)
- Garam Mashala Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee (optional): ½ tablespoon
- Sugar:- 1/5 teaspoon
- Salt: - to taste
- Wash the prawns and marinate with Turmeric Powder & Salt before cooking.
Remove the skin and the tough middle core and cut the jackfruit into medium cubes and boil until soft. Also cut the potatoes into cube pieces.
- Full heat the oil in a pan & fry the prawns for 30sec to 1 min. and set aside.
- In the same oil that was used to fry the fish, pour in the bay leaves. When it become brown, add the potatoes.
- Fry the potatoes till become brown; then add the onions in it and mix well.
- When the color of onion should take up a bit of brownish, add the ginger paste, garlic paste, tomato & fry for 2-3 min.
- Add ¼ cup water, all the powders of ingredients, salt, sugar & cook for 2-3 min.
- Add some water again and then add the jackfruit and fried prawns and mix well. Cook for 2-3 min again.
- Now, add about 2 cup of water and stir well.
- Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Take it off the flame after 10 minutes. Add the garam mashala powder and ghee and cover it again for 2-3 min.
12. Serve hot with Rice or Roti or Paratha.
- Apply mustard oil to your palm before cut green jackfruit or Kathal. It protects your palm from become sticky.
- Drink water with lemon juice and salt after returning from the Sun to bit the hit.