Hello foodies! First of all – many god wishes to all of you for Durga Puja and Navaratri! Hope you all are enjoying a lot in this festive season with your family! In Bengal, Durga Puja is started from the sixth day of Navaratri, called Sashti. New wears, colorful Pandals and of course, soooo many delicious dishes are the heart of this festival! We make so many authentic dishes in home during Durga Puja. I promise you that I will share some of them after!
Today, I’m going to share a recipe, that I learnt from my mother. I usually cook it for any special occasion and it is a must have in any day during Durga Puja in my home! Try once, I think you will love it…….
Roasted Cauliflower in Bengali Style
- Cauliflower: 1 (big)
- Tomato (diced): 1/2 cup
- Ginger Paste: 1 teaspoon
- Cashew nut Paste: 3 tablespoons
- Curd: 1/3 cup
- Cumin Powder: 1/3 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder: 1/3 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder: 1/3 tablespoon
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: ½ tablespoon
- Garam Mashala powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds: 1/3 teaspoon
- Bay Leaf: 2
- Ghee or Refine Oil: to cook
- Sugar: 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
- Separate each flower from the cauliflower. Wash very well and keep them aside.
- Mix the cashew paste, curd and a pinch of salt to make a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Mix the turmeric, coriander, cumin and kashmiri chili powder with a pinch of salt and water to make a smooth paste and keep it aside, too.
- Heat ghee/oil in a kadai. Add the cauliflowers in it. Add salt and ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder. Fry it for 1-2 min. Remember, cauliflowers remain whitish and don’t let them golden or brown. Keep the cauliflowers in another utensil.
- In the same oil, add the bay leaves and cumin seeds one by one in it and fry it until it becomes brown.
- After 1-2 min. add the ginger paste and fry for 1 min.
- Now, add the tomatoes and let it cook till it starts oozing water.
- Add the paste of turmeric, coriander, cumin and kashmiri chili powder, salt and sugar in it and mix very well. Cook for 3-4 min.
- When the oil become separate from the gravy, add little of water, the cauliflowers, the paste of cashew and curd and mix very well. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the oil separates from the gravy.
- Sprinkle some little of water on it and cover the utensil to cook for 5 min.
- Off the gas, when the cauliflowers become cooked and add the garam mashala powder. Cover it again for 4-5 min.
- Serve hot with Roti or Paratha or Puri or smoked rice.