Hello lovely foodies! I’m again here with a new recipe for you! In winter season, we can see several of vegetables in market. Let’s go for a unique snack, made with some colorful veggies!
I have shared so many snacks before, but most of them were non-veg! And all my vegetarian readers want some veg-snacks! So, I’m going to share the recipe of ‘Vegetable Chop’ – a very popular snack in West Bengal. Here I go…….
- Beetroot- 2 medium
- Carrot- 2 medium
- Potato- 2 large
- Green-peas- 1/2 cup
- Peanuts (roasted) - 1/4 cup
- Ginger (grated) - 2 tbsp
- Green chili (chopped) - 3-4
- Red Chili Powder- 1/4tsp
- *Roasted Masala Powder: 3teasp
- Cornflower- 1 cup
- Breadcrumb- to need
- Salt- to taste
- Sugar- 1/4teasp
- Oil- for deep fry
*For Roasted Masala Powder:
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Clove - 6
- Green Cardamom - 3
- Cinnamon - 1/2" stick
- Peppercorn - 12
- Red chili - 2-3
- Bay leaf - 1
Roast the all ingredients together and then grind to a fine powder. You can store this powder in an air-tight jar for months. You can use it to make more chops.
- Cook all the vegetables till they are mash-able. You can use a pressure cooker.
- Once cooked, drain water and mash the vegetables. Keep it aside.
- Now heat 1 tbsp. oil in a Kadhai or Frying Pan.
- Add grated ginger and chopped green chili.
- Next, add the mashed vegetables, 3 tsp of roasted masala, roasted peanuts, red Chili Powder, salt and sugar.
- Mix the mashed veggies with the masala very well and cook until the excess water dries.
- When this mixture becomes cool, divide it in equal part and make croquettes or chop. The usual shape is round or oval.
- Now, make a batter of cornflower and water. The batter should not be very thin.
- Dip the chop in the batter and roll in breadcrumbs.
- In a Kadhai heat enough oil for frying. Once the oil is hot, put the chops one by one in it and fry in hot oil till they become golden brown.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and a salad.
- When you cook the vegetables, add 1-2 tbsp of maida for binding if needed.
- You can add 1 tbsp of finely chopped coriander leaves and any other vegetables.
- You can refrigerate the croquettes/chops for an hour to set the chops. You can refrigerate these for about 4-5 days in a closed container.