Hello foodies! here comes the time when we have to say ‘good bye’ to winter and tomorrow is the last festival of this winter - Vasant Panchami or Saraswati Puja! In India, it is a very important and popular festival, not only for students, but also for each and every people. It is a must have for all Bengali to eat a special ‘Khichdi’ on the day with various side dishes! Today, I’m going to share the recipe of this special Khichdi! Try it tomorrow, I think your family will love it…………..
Khichdi in Bengali Style
- Moong dal or split green lentil: 200 grams
- Basmati rice: 200 grams
- Potatoes (medium): 2
- Cauliflower (small): 1
- Green peas: ½ cup
- Ginger paste: 2 tablespoon
- Green chili: 5-6
- Turmeric powder: 1 tablespoon
- Cooking oil: ½ cup
- Ghee: 3 tablespoon
- Salt: to taste
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon
- Green cardamom: 2
- Clove: 2-4
- Cinnamon: 1 thin sticks
- Bay Leaf: 1
- Dry red chili: 2
- cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Cut the potatoes in halves. Cut the cauliflower in 8-10 large florets.
- Wash the rice and soak in water for 10 minutes.
- Roast the Moong Dal till golden and you get a nice aroma. Rinse the dal lightly in water and keep aside.
- In a frying pan, fry the potatoes and cauliflower with sprinkle of turmeric powder and salt till they are f lightly golden. Throw in the green peas and sauté them too.
- Now, heat oil in a deep and heavy bottomed pot.
- Add the ingredients, mentioned for tempering, one by one and sauté for a minute.
- Add ginger paste and mix it well and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix it well. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add moong dal and stir for 1-2 minutes for proper mixing.
- Now, add salt, turmeric powder and water (1 liter) and let it boil.
- After the boiling starts add the potatoes, cauliflower, green chillies and peas. Add some more warm water if needed. Cover the pot and let it cook.
- In between, remove the cover, gently give a stir and check if they are done or if more water is needed.
- Once the rice, lentils and vegetables are cooked, add the sugar and mix gently.
- Drizzle the ghee and serve hot.